HOW TO BUILD A COMFORTABLE HOME WITH YOUR NEW CAT
Tips For Adopting Your New Cat
Make sure you have the necessities for your new cat
- Food, water, litter, a scratching post and a comfy bed are essentials for your new friend to feel comfortable.
- Remember, if you have another cat - you want each cat to have their own bed and scratching posts. You also want to have one litter box for each cat plus one additional box.
Give Them Some Space
- Don’t force the relationship - some cats take longer than others to warm up to their new home and family.
- Give them space to explore their new home, at their own pace, to find their favorite spots and get used to the scents.
Learn Their Personality
- Your cat will appreciate being able to access their favorite elevated spots
- Some like toys, some like treats, and some are happy with play time. Give them choices and see what they prefer.
Use FELIWAY® Optimum to help keep your cat calm during change
- Help reduce common signs of stress, including environmental changes.
- An average satisfaction rating of 9.1 out of 10.
- FELIWAY® Optimum is Vet Recommended and Satisfaction Guaranteed.
- Discover how using FELIWAY® Optimum can help you bond with your new cat.
See how FELIWAY® helped these cats:
It worked - No more scratching!
It’s always important to remember that cats love routines. It’s important to continue their normal routine - mealtime, playtime, etc. Bringing them into your home is a big change. Patience is key. It may take some time to learn your new friend’s habits, what they like and don’t like, and their temperament. Check out our blog on understanding your kitty’s body language.
Hiding may also be common at first. If you notice your cat is not eating, check out some reasons why (and possible solutions). Think about giving your new feline several options for space. Many cats feel safer when they are up higher and can watch the world below them. Make sure there are various levels available for lounge and play.
If you’re bringing your new cat home to other pets, we also have tips for introducing your pets!